I am encouraged that people are compelled to respond to my recent columns in the sun about religion. It is however very frustrating that with all that I intended to say, that people think that my comment on the religious situation are attacks, or bodies of work in defense of atheism.
I don't actually care that much about religion, I care about tolerance and love. I think it's important to say that I do not tend to use the word atheist, or refer to myself as such, my beliefs have no convention and I know that my knowledge is limited. I often get caught in worrying that my fervence in denouncing religion are misrepresentative of my motives which are simply to encourage people of alternative views to be more open in Bermuda about thair rights to be respected.
I think that it is more important for people to live true to themselves rather than spend their whole lives defending the principles of their religious beliefs. The pillars of morality are intrinsically human and I do believe that there is more good than evil in this world. This whole discussion on atheism versus religion is retarded to me, to be honest. I don't actually care what people on either sides believe. It is a futile attempt to convert people from their stubborn faith so I believe that it is more important that we act human towards eachother rather than battling one another based on our differences in belief. Let's stop being condescending to one another (which happens on both sides) and grow the hell up.
If people still believe that life is about proving to other people that what they believe is valid...then we truly have it wrong...and no wonder we are in the state that we are when our concerns are so flimsy that they only span as far as the need to be right as opposed to the need to be productive.
Life is full of magic. I hope that people are able to appreciate it independent of the need for religious repression, I hope that we can look beyond feeling threatened by people who have beliefs that are in opposition to our own. Our common bond is that we are human, to me this is more important than anything else, always.
I don't care that this perspective might be a bit utopian because in my experience it has served true, love and respect for our fellow man within our own community make for a lot less friction, the understanding that we are all equal to one another makes life easier to live, we are all valuable and have important things to contribute to our society, we are here for a fleeting moment in the context of the measure of time and space in the universe, and that we are here is purpose enough, one day it will be over for us and none of the petty discrepancies that we've had will matter anymore, so while we are here...I think it is better to make our existence matter...while it matters, love while we can...and live without the need for approval, simply by virtue of us existing, we are here to enjoy the time we have been granted by the cosmos.
one love.
nice post
ReplyDelete